Improving Station Accountability
ELP worked with a Nuclear Power station that provides electricity to over 650K homes to rectify several single-point vulnerabilities. Poor equipment maintenance and low equipment reliability index (ERI) contributed to a series of plant trips that cost the company millions.
Station leaders engaged ELP to improve alignment and develop strategies that strengthened accountability and improve the ERI and INPO scores. In addition, executives needed more evidence that a second reactor under construction, Unit 2, was aligned and integrated within the station.
STEPS TO SUCCESS
ELP’s Strategic Performance Management (SPM) Process
- Developed simplified, strategic One Page Plans for key leaders at the station.
- Linked all plans horizontally and vertically resulting in immediate improvement in alignment and focus.
- Implemented a thematic coaching intervention which further enhanced focus, alignment and accountability.
- Unit 2 successfully went on-line producing an additional 1150 MWe – enough to provide electricity to 650,00 homes.
- Improved performance evaluation process resulted in sustained feedback loop and improved station performance.
- Improved transparency and communication channels which increased alignment and ownership.
“I can’t think of another consultancy that impacted performance more than ELP. Their methods are one-of-a-kind. I’ve yet to find another process that drives focus and alignment as much as ELP’s Strategic Performance Management. What is truly revolutionary is that they make it so simple. Simple to understand. Simple to follow. Simple to execute. Results are guaranteed.“
– DON GRISSETTE, Senior VP executive at both FP&L and TVA